The "Out of the Darkness" walk is held yearly. Sept 25, 2010 is the 6th annual walk. We meet at the capitol at 10 AM and you will be asked to sign a waiver to walk. It simply releases the liability to the Capitol for your walking on the grounds.
You can turn in any donations that you might have collected or you can give a donation. This must be done off the grounds as no money can change hands on the capitol grounds. Collection will be on the sidewalk in front of the capitol ground gates.
There will be several tables to visit:
1. Balloons- You may post a note and place your loved ones name in a balloon to be released at the end of the walk.
2. Register your loved ones name to be read out loud at the Roll Call.
3. Get some free beads and the color will denote your relationship to the loved one.
4. American Foundation for Suicide Prevention information
5. You can place your loved ones photo, poem or momento on a bulletin board.
6. Inspirational music will be played both live and canned.
7. Speakers will give very short speeches on suicide.
8. Walk around the capitol two times
You can walk in honor of your loved one and can carry a photo of them. Some walk in teams with photo tee shirts and some walk solo with no banner. It really does not matter.
There are no rules here. Just come and honor the lives of those you love.
Austin Survivors of Suicide
When the worst thing happens to you a place to turn
Let us be there for you !!